Minor Injuries Service
At the Holbrook and Shotley Practice we operate a MINOR INJURIES SERVICE as an alternative to visiting A&E for some conditions during our normal opening hours:
Monday – Friday 08.00 to 18.30 (one of the 2 surgeries is open daily till 18.30)
Q. For what medical conditions can I use the service?
A. This service is available when the medical problem includes but is not limited to the Following:-
- Lacerations capable of closure by simple techniques (stripping, gluing, suturing)
- Bruises, grazes and soft tissue injuries
- Minor dislocations
- Injuries that cannot be helped by simple domestic first aid
- Assessment of injuries where it is suspected stitches may be required
- Minor head injuries without loss of consciousness
- Partial thickness burns or scolds
- Foreign bodies superficially embedded in tissue (excluding the eye)
- Minor trauma to hands, limbs or feet e.g. sprains and strains (not suspected fractures)
Q. When should I use this service?
A. If your medical problem Is NOT a medical emergency, requiring a 999 call, you should consider telephoning the Practice for medical advice during our opening times.
We will quickly discuss your situation with you and advise you whether to attend A&E or to come to the Surgery.
If you attend the Surgery you will be seen as a medical priority. There will be a risk assessment carried out and you will be advised of an approximate appointment time.
Q. Can the doctors and nurses at the Surgery deal with my minor injury the same as A&E doctors and nurses?
A. If the problem can be dealt with as a minor injury our doctors and nurses are trained and qualified to help you in the same way. They have all spent part of their training within the A&E department of a hospital and are dealing with these problems on a regular basis.
Q. How do I know if I should telephone 999 or go straight to A&E?
A. If you suspect you may be having a heart attack, have a broken limb or are in any doubt you must telephone NHS 111.
You can, of course go straight to A&E at any time. The Minor Injuries Service is an alternative, close to your home and readily available to you by just walking in to the Surgery.
Many visits to A&E are found to be minor and unnecessary but THE CHOICE AT ALL TIMES MUST REMAIN YOURS!